[mythtvnz] Current graphics card recommendations

Michael West michael at iposs.co.nz
Sat Oct 13 10:35:26 BST 2012

On Saturday, 13 October 2012 7:37 p.m. Scott wrote:
O>n Wed, October 10, 2012 11:43 pm, Michael West wrote:
>> From: mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
>> [mailto:mythtvnz-bounces at lists.linuxnut.co.nz] On Behalf Of Scott
>> Newton
>>>What do people currently recommend as I need to upgrade my system. I
>>>was  thinking fo something along the lines of the GT620/630/640.
>>>
>>>Thanks
>>>--
>>>Regards
>>>Scott Newton
>>
>> I just got a GT 620 and it works fine for me at full HD with
>> deinterlacing etc.  I can't see any good reasons to go higher just for
>> mythtv playback myself.  When I ordered the 620 they sent me a 2GB GT
>> 650 by mistake and invoiced me for that instead which I wasn't going
>> to pay for so had to return it.
>>

>Are any of these single slot?
>
>A lot of the newer cards are still dual slot which is a pain for smaller already rather full cases.
>
>Steve

The GT 650 they sent me first was a dual slot but I think many GT 620's are single slot.  The GV-N620D3-1GL I got is single slot and I have it mounted right next to my HVR-2200 fine but it may restrict the air flow a little.  Just checked and while playing Full HD with advanced 2x etc the gpu reports 67C and the heatsink feels warm/hot but not too bad.  It is dual slot if you use the included low profile adapters unless you remove the VGA port.  Having the low profile option can be good if you change case later.

Most 610/620/630 cards are single slot it seems with maybe the exception being some models with quite or passive Designs that take two slots. GT 640 or higher dual slot are more popular.

Michael