[mythtvnz] Transcoding Issues anyone

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 03:30:57 BST 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 12:59 PM, Tony Sauri <hoiho.nz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone in NZ had been having transcoding issues of recent
> times.
>
> I have been running an increasingly ancient Myth System (Mythbuntu 9.04
> MythTV 0.21) successfully for a number of years using DVB-T signals.
> Because of my ancient front-end (IBM T23 laptop and Sony CRT TV) I have had
> to transcode everything I record before watching it.

My initial reaction was "get a better frontend, ION systems are
relatively cheap. However you do have the difficulty that the typical
output of an ion box, or any vdpau video card, is HDMI and/or VGA so
you have difficulties with a CRT. There might be some 8xxx series
nvidia cards lurking around with s-video out.