[mythtvnz] Reception problems with HVR2200

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Oct 10 02:44:27 BST 2012

On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 08:06:34 +1300, you wrote:

>On 10/10/12 00:38, Curtis Walker wrote:
>> Trouble is - I'm not aware of any other readily available alternative
>> cards in NZ which have dual terrestrial tuners. And even then, they
>> could suffer similar problems or it isn't the card's fault, but
>> elsewhere in the chain!
>>
>Is that necessary?  I'm getting good results from a single Nova-T stick.
>
>I am thinking of getting another.
>
>That would be two tuners without the need for a card.
>
>But I am wondering if I will get problems with 2 that I do not have with
>1.  Will putting another tuner on the antenna weaken the signal?
>
>Worik

You have to split the aerial using a splitter to add more tuners.
Two-, three- and four-way splitters are readily available.  It is
recommended to use F-connectors for everything you can in an aerial
system, especially splitters - they are screw on and do not unplug
themselves fully or partially with time and knocks.  Just use a
Belling-Lee as the final connector to the tuner or TV.  Each time you
split a signal, you get a reduced signal after the splitter.
Typically, you get a 3 dB loss from a 2-way splitter.  Should the
signal loss from a splitter cause you problems, you just change the
splitter to an amplifier and then usually everything is fine.  You try
the splitter first, as they are cheap and work better than an
amplifier if your aerial has enough signal.  An amplifier will set you
back around $90-$100 for a 4-way one.  This is the one I am using:

http://www.tradetech.co.nz/shop/Outdoor+Aerials+%26+Accessories/Distribution+Amplifiers/SA164F.html

The F on the end of the part number indicates F connectors - mine came
with a full set of F to Belling-Lee converters, which was a bonus. The
SA162F is the two-way model.

See this page for a good explanation:

http://www.aerialsandtv.com/ampsandsplitters.html#AmplifierOrSplitter

I am using lots of USB 2.0 tuners, and they work fine.  But some are
better than others, and there are plenty that do not have Linux
drivers, so you have to research carefully before you buy.  I would
suggest asking here to confirm compatibility.

My favourite is the Pinnacle PCTV Nano Stick:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/peripherals/other/auction-521846420.htm

It is the one that has never given me a moment's trouble, but is
usually a little more expensive.  That auction is a really good price.
I have two as my no. 1 and no. 2 tuners on my main MythTV box.  The
downside of USB tuners is that they hang out of the box and are
vulnerable to being knocked (eg the cat or the kids), so it pays to
think a little about how to prevent that, perhaps by having them
between the MythTV box and the TV next door, for example.  USB tuners
also typically only have fairly useless remote controls, but that is
fine if you are adding to an existing system with a good remote
already in place.  Some come with a short USB extension cable, which
is usually necessary as they are too big to plug directly into the USB
ports on a PC if there is anything nearby.  I usually use these for my
USB extension cables:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=372112

but they seem to be out of stock at the moment.

Here is a photo of what I have on my laptop, which is quite a neat
arrangement:

http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/laptop_tuners.jsw