[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Oct 6 10:27:01 BST 2012

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 21:03:09 +1300, you wrote:

>On Sat, Oct 06, 2012 at 05:29:01PM +1300, Steve Hodge wrote:
>>
>> > In a way this is good - it means I don't have to go and buy a
>> > UPS to protect XFS/JFS.
>> >

>> Why would you need to buy a UPS to protect XFS/JFS?
>
>Is that a myth?

I can say from experience that JFS is just fine with a power fail
situation.

When I was looking at EXT4 when it first came out in Ubuntu, it turned
out that it was much less capable of handing a power fail situation
than EXT3, so I have stuck with EXT3 for my system partitions.  Since
that was a long time ago now, EXT4 may well have been adjusted to get
the same resistance to power fails as EXT3, but IIRC you would
probably have to set an option somewhere, as it had something to do
with when it flushed everything to disk - EXT3 always does within a
few seconds, and EXT4 did not, and deliberately so in order to gain
performance.