[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 11:45:57 BST 2012

On Thu, 04 Oct 2012 20:06:42 +1300, Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Odd problem this.
> On all TV recordings, after around 20 minutes, the picture starts
> becoming pixellated. Over the next 30 or so >seconds it becomes more and
> more pixellated until it looks like an impressionist painting. The sound
> is generally >OK, but does have the odd, brief "glitch" (a noise like a
> modem negotiating). After no more than a minute, the >picture and sound
> suddenly return to normal.
>
> I'm fairly sure this is not a reception issue, since it seems to occur
> so regularly, and at roughly the same time >in each recording, and for
> the rest of the recording picture and sound are perfect. Signal strength
> and SNR are >fine (98% and 2.3dB respectively, and this is
> representative). Same thing occurs on all channels.
>
> It doesn't appear to be related to the playback, as the same pixellation
> occurs in the same place whether viewing >the recording on desktop
> (nvidia) or Laptop (intel integrated), although it sounds similar to
> symptoms reported by >others on mythtv <0.25 which people ascribed to
> vdpau and buffer settings.
>
> Could be some scheduled process is running every 20 minutes or so on my
> disks? Although why it occurs ~20 minutes >into a recording, and never
> at other times, doesn't seem to fit with this either.
>
> Hmmmm ....

I've seen the same thing since I built my HTPC in January.I always assumed
it was a signal related problem as I am in a fringe area and I thought I
got an improvement with a better antenna.Ive had it with 0.24 and 0.25 +
fixes.
I'm very interested to see if it turns out to be from some another cause.

Cheers -Paul