[mythtvnz] Pixellation Every ~ 20 minutes

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 10:34:40 BST 2012

On Oct 4, 2012 8:07 PM, "Curtis Walker" <sultanoswing at gmail.com> wrote:

> Odd problem this.
>
> On all TV recordings, after around 20 minutes, the picture starts
becoming pixellated. Over the next 30 or so seconds it becomes more and
more pixellated until it looks like an impressionist painting. The sound is
generally OK, but does have the odd, brief "glitch" (a noise like a modem
negotiating). After no more than a minute, the picture and sound suddenly
return to normal.

> I'm fairly sure this is not a reception issue, since it seems to occur so
regularly, and at roughly the same time in each recording, and for the rest
of the recording picture and sound are perfect. Signal strength and SNR are
fine (98% and 2.3dB respectively, and this is representative). Same thing
occurs on all channels.

> It doesn't appear to be related to the playback, as the same pixellation
occurs in the same place whether viewing the recording on desktop (nvidia)
or Laptop (intel integrated), although it sounds similar to symptoms
reported by others on mythtv <0.25 which people ascribed to vdpau and
buffer settings.

> Could be some scheduled process is running every 20 minutes or so on my
disks? Although why it occurs ~20 minutes into a recording, and never at
other times, doesn't seem to fit with this either.

> Hmmmm ....

I have seen similar stuff. I thought it was to do with the networking
between my HDHR and my backend. I should indicate further.