[mythtvnz] Anoter media player

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 07:41:06 GMT 2012

On Sat, Nov 24, 2012 at 7:28 PM, Noel & Diane <noel at igrin.co.nz> wrote:

> **
> Hey just found this.
> http://code.google.com/p/mythdroid/
>
> So it looks like you can use this wee toy on your TV & have a cheap +
> portable frontend!!

Please only post each message once.

Not sure about mythdroid, I thought it was a remote only.

You need to be careful, this device is certainly cheap enough to play with
but:

1. Can it decode the streams you want to play?

2. Alternatively, can your backend keep up with the transcoding
requirements to make the services api http live streaming work?

3. Does it have some method of remote control?

4. Looks like wireless only, does it have the network capacity needed?

5. You talk about booting off sd card, I assume you mean some linux distro
like debian which runs on ARM processors. Generally speaking mythtv does
NOT support hardware decoding of video on ARM setups - see the many many
pages of info about the RPi. XBMC does support openmax, and may be a viable
frontend.

6. Tel us what your plan is and we can comment more. In the meantime you
might want to search for raspberry pi on the mythtv users mailing list for
some feedback on that very similar device and the prosepct of using it as a
frontend to mythtv.