[mythtvnz] new build

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 06:09:25 GMT 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 5:44 PM, Stu <stugo at xtra.co.nz> wrote:

> Hi Guys
> Looking at setting up a new Mtythbuntu box, will be a combined frontend,
> On existing hardware,this is  already working, I am looking at setting it
> up with to a solid state drive ( 120 g) for op,system

120G is way more than you will need, 40 is more than sufficient. LinHES
defaults to 3G I think!

> and a 2tbyte for storage.

3T seems a better price point and you'll be glad of the space. There is no
problem with 3T drives in linux for this purpose.

> I only use dvb t and I running nova 500 for recordings on a 2gig dual core
> with 2 gig of ram.
>  My questions are what do I need to know when installing paths to these
> drives

I would

1. partition your storage drive according to your estimated needs. Say 1/2
for videos and half for recordings, but it depends on your use case.

2. mount your storage drive partitions to, say, /mnt/recordings1 and
/mnt/videos1 (you WILL add more later believe me so it pays to number
them.). Also use UUIDs for /etc/fstab. You can find the UUID for each
partition with sudo blkid

3. mkdir /mnt/recordings1/recordings

4. add /mnt/recordings1/recordings to your default storage group and
/mnt/videos1 to your videos storage group, having first ensured that the
directories are readable and writable by user mythtv (which runs the
backend)

5. delete the standard mythbuntu defined default and videos storage group
definitions (unless you really did get that 120G drive and want to use some
of it, although better to use it for videos than recordings, best to keep
recordings off the drive where the db and OS reside. )

6. Optionally change all those miscellaneous SG definitions (fanart etc) to
somewhere on your big drive.

> and also I think I have seen some where that there is a different line in
> the EPG update for 12.04. I usually grab the The EPG from the net.

tv_grab_nz-py continues to work as before AFAIK :)

If you are running mythfilldatabase via some cron script then there are
some changes to mythfilldatabase, but if you do it properly via the backend
and tv_grab_nz-py, you don't need to worry about that.

Once you have your db back you can rsync all your recording files and
videos from old system to new.

Thanks for any help so I do not fall into any pit falls.
> Stu

Make sure you read this page 30 zillion times and use the provided scripts
to back up your database and restore it your new system. Use the same
hostname as your old system.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore

If I think of anything else I'll post again.