[mythtvnz] Looking for modern video input devices (vs PCI cards)

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue May 29 03:19:38 BST 2012

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Wade Maxfield <mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz> wrote:
> It's been a long long time since I built my original system and I'm looking at updating parts of it before moving to MythTV 0.25.
>
> It currently has a PVR-150 and 2 x SkySTAR DVB-S cards, all PCI.
>
> PCI slots are getting pretty rare from my scanning of PBTech and similar sites, so building a new system with my current cards might be hard to do.
>
> So:
>
> What is the current equivalent of a PVR-150? My requirement is for capturing off a SD Sky digital box via S-Video, preferably via a card/adaptor with MPEG2 encoder rather than a frame grabber and CPU encoding. If I can move this to PCIe then finding a new motherboard becomes a lot easier.

As an exercise I went onto newegg.com and used their useful search
tool to find motherboards with 3 PCI slots. Now I know newegg don't
sell to NZ, but their search tool is useful.

They list 33 motherboards with 3 PCI slots. The first on the list is
the Intel BOXDH77KC LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX
Intel Motherboard. Turning then to pricespy.co.nz this board is
available from a number of retailers here.

So there are motherboards that may utilise your existing cards.