[mythtvnz] Looking for modern video input devices (vs PCI cards)

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Wed May 23 01:47:06 BST 2012

It's been a long long time since I built my original system and I'm looking at updating parts of it before moving to MythTV 0.25.

It currently has a PVR-150 and 2 x SkySTAR DVB-S cards, all PCI.

PCI slots are getting pretty rare from my scanning of PBTech and similar sites, so building a new system with my current cards might be hard to do.

So:

What is the current equivalent of a PVR-150? My requirement is for capturing off a SD Sky digital box via S-Video, preferably via a card/adaptor with MPEG2 encoder rather than a frame grabber and CPU encoding. If I can move this to PCIe then finding a new motherboard becomes a lot easier.

Has anyone tried a Hauppage HD-PVR with Sky HD over here?

 - Wade