[mythtvnz] Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions.

jfpn at clearfield.com jfpn at clearfield.com
Sat Jun 30 08:47:34 BST 2012

> On 30 June 2012 18:21, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Jonathan Hoskin
>> <jonathan.hoskin at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 30 June 2012 at 2:41 PM, jfp wrote:
>>> Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B)
>>> Would you mind giving an indication of what you paid for yours all up?
I see a few on Trademe but I assume most of them are scalpers given
the
>>> original US$35 price tag.
>> I ordered mine from RS a week or so ago, prices in GBP:
>> RS Stock No.    Qty     Description     Unit Price      Goods Value
726-3053        1       Micro USB Euro power supply for Raspberry Pi
 £4.89   £4.89
>> 2000114141      1       4GB Class 6 SDHC Flash memory card for
Raspberry
>> Pi     £6.49   £6.49
>> Case-CLR        1       Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Clear        £3.99
£3.99
>> 756-8308        1       Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer
£21.60  £21.60
>>        Running Total   £36.97
>> Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 9 week(s))  £4.95
>> Order total     £41.92
>> (sorry about the formating, cut and paste from the order confirmation
email)
> I was wondering what the pi has over one of those set top
> android/linux media players that can be had for about the same?

Future updates :-)

It currently has 2 XBMC linux distros and 3 (I think) plain distros.

The android/linux media players will be usually a shot deal you get what
you paid for and are very unlikely to get any firmware updates. And they
don't connect to the Google Market/Play store.

If you want Android you should get a supported Google TV device.
I have a Logitech Revue but it doesn't play Mythtv DVB-T HD recordings.

--
Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois at clearfield.com | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401