[mythtvnz] Raspberry Pi as a multimedia frontend: first impressions.

jfp jfpn at clearfield.com
Sat Jun 30 03:41:59 BST 2012

Jut got myself a Raspberry Pi (Model B) and just tried it as a Multimedia Player running XBMC.

The good: It will play Mythtv Freeview DVB-T HD recordings (As well as standard MP4/MKV/AVI's). I've tried TV3 and TV2 recordings, that was quite impressive.

The bad:
- The interface is a bit sluggish (to be expected)
- While it plays Mythtv recordings it only does so over NFS, using SMB/(Windows shares) it shows something like a frame a second. Apparently SMB is very expensive CPU wise compared to NFS.

The really bad:
- Starting playback for HD content takes about 30 seconds.
- NFS is a bit flaky currently.

It's early days, but it looks promising.

This is using the Openelec distro, you copy it to the SD card and it just works.
I also tried the Raspbmc distro but it's harder to install and seems to freeze fairly often.

--
Jean-Francois Pirus | Technical Manager
francois at clearfield.com | Mob +64 21 640 779 | DDI +64 9 282 3401

Clearfield Software Ltd | Ph +64 9 358 2081 | www.clearfield.com