[mythtvnz] HDD Load Cycle Count ticking over too fast [SOLVED (sort of)]

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Thu Jun 28 01:16:25 BST 2012

Well it's official. I really am very thick. I just could not understand
why a non-system drive should have constant disk access when it is
completely idle. So I used iotop to see what was happening and sure
enough nothing was touching the drive. Then the penny finally dropped.
Of course. It's bleeding obvious. Every time you run smartctl you wake
up the drive so if it's parked the LCC increments by one. So by checking
the LCC every 15s I was causing it to increment every 15s because the WD
green drives intellipark every 8s.

So now the only question is whether typical usage of the disk will cause
excessive load cycles. From smartctl stats it seems not. I calculate it
will take about 12 years to reach 300,000 cycles based on past usage. So
nothing to worry about after all.

BTW observing that the interval between disk I/O on my system drive
(WD10EADS-00L5B1) is frequently more than 8s but the LCC count is low on
this drive I must have lucked out with the firmware (01.01A01) on the
drive, i.e., it doesn't intellipark every 8s.