[mythtvnz] HDD Load Cycle Count ticking over too fast

Wade Maxfield mythtvnz at hotblack.co.nz
Tue Jun 26 06:46:57 BST 2012

On 26/06/2012, at 5:20 PM, Steve Hodge wrote:

> The 7200.11 series definitely has problems, but it seems to be a matter of luck. The main reason I've stuck with Seagate is their longer warranties.

The current equivalent Seagate now has a 1yr warranty which seems pretty crappy to me. If you want the longer warranty you need to look for XT (seems to be a dropped product line) or the Constellation or ES series.

In the last 12 months I've had 2 WD's start to fail or totally die (3.2 & 3.5 yrs old) and 4 Seagates (1.5, 1.75 2.5, & 2.9yrs). I do have more Seagates in general so this isn't a bash Seagate email.

I've just suffered a very sick 7200.12 that semi drops off the SATA bus when you try to write to it (shows as unrecognised via SMART, and then causes my machine to slow down then lockup when pending writes get too large), but it was healthy enough for reading so I've managed to copy off 460GB of unwatched recordings.

It's about to be replaced with a WD Caviar Black which still come with 5yr warranties, which I expect will be called upon with the way drive reliability seems to be going.

 - Wade