[mythtvnz] HDD Load Cycle Count ticking over too fast

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Mon Jun 25 12:08:17 BST 2012

On 25/06/12 22:57, criggie wrote:
> On 25/06/12 22:02, David Moore wrote:
>> This is the problem drive:
>> Device Model: WDC WD20EARS-00MVWB0
>> 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 095 095 000 Old_age Always - 4206
>
>> Older drive:
>> Device Model: WDC WD10EADS-00L5B1
>> 12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 099 099 000 Old_age Always - 1219
>

> Its obvious - your drives are too new.
>
> 9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 013 013 000 Old_age Always - 76505
> That's 8.7 years of active power-on time, and counting....
>

> Your drive is a WD Ears and they're known for interesting power save
> attempts. Google about and you'll see. Not as bad as seagate drives that
> might simply cease to acknowledge your data, or SSDs without functional
> trim. Best thing to do is either back up your important data, or just
> don't stress.
>
> Remember all hardware breaks eventually.

Agreed. Finding lots with google. As it happens my dud drive is a
Seagate. I am working out my backup strategy but I also don't think it
makes sense to let a dumb hardware/OS combination wear out a drive too
soon. Since simply playing something in myth stops the load cycling dead
I may do something to keep the drive active, say, 50% or 75% of the
time. I guess this won't wear the motor/bearings more than continuous
spin up/down? Definitely less head wear.