[mythtvnz] Looks like my system drive is faulty - ideas?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sun Jun 24 03:59:42 BST 2012

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 13:55:42 +1200 (NZST), you wrote:

>On Sun, June 24, 2012 1:31 pm, David Moore wrote:
>> My system won't boot today unless I unplug the boot drive. Can't even
>> get into the BIOS setup. Just hangs with no POST beeps/messages and the
>> hdd led permanently on. So I can't boot into a cd to try and
>> diagnose/repair the drive. I can boot a cd if I disconnect the boot hdd..
>> Any ideas how I can get round this so I can try and fix the boot drive?
>
>Is it IDE or SATA?
>
>If its sata an option might be an external USB -> SATA adapter so you can
>try to access the drive on another system that has already booted.
>
>Steve

SATA is normally hotswap, so you can unplug the drive, boot from CD
and then plug it in and see what happens.  But if it is preventing the
system from booting into BIOS, then it is likely pulling down the
power supply, so plugging it in may just shut the PC down again.  I
would recommend unplugging as much of your PC as you can when trying
things that are killing the power supply.