[mythtvnz] Import media files from USB drive

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 05:24:07 BST 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:00 PM, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 15:47:31 +1200, Worik Stanton <worik.stanton at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>> Primarily to copy them to videos storage,but to play direct off the usb
>>> drive would be very useful as well.
>>>
>> I just copy the files into the video directory of the backend
>> (/var/lib/mythtv/video on my machine from memory) and in the front end I use
>> the 'M' key and rescan.
>>
>> It would be cool to be ale to do that from the front end using the MythTV
>> UI.
>>
>> Worik
>>
> So I take it that there is no way to do this from the UI?

No, but if you use XBMC as well it has a file manager which you could
use (I think, I have never done more than glance at it).

> Am I correct to think that it can be done from optical discs?

No, you can rip (errr I mean backup of course) a DVD but not copy files directly

> I'm surprised that this functionality has not been extended to memory
> sticks.

ssh and mv are the only commands you need to know, although I would
tend to use mount to see where the external is mounted, and mc to do
the copying, just because I like luddite gui file managers.

You can also put the usb device in your laptop and desktop and move
the files over the network if you want to point and click. mythbuntu
exports videos and recordings over samba by default. This will be
slower, unless you have a fast network. Over wireless it is deadly
boringly slow.

whichever way you do it you will need to scan for new videos within
mythvideo, as explained by others in the thread.