[mythtvnz] tv_grab_nz-py - determined to get it working!

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Sun Jun 17 13:08:00 BST 2012

After the recent discussion on EPG updates, where tv_grab_nz-py was
mentioned, including some *simple* steps for getting it to work, I
have taken it as a personal affront that it won't work on my setup for
some reason. It's now personal - I WILL get it to work!

Situation so far (Arch Linux, myth 0.25, single FE/BE, default ports etc).
1) It doesn't run/work automatically
2) running"mythfilldatabase" manually does work - it correctly uses
the grabber script and inserts program data.
3) running manually, I can see it's using
"/home/username/.mythtv/FreeviewHD.xmltv".
4) I have copied the xmltv file to "/home/mythtv/.mythtv/" as well,
since apparently the BE, when running mythfilldatabase, does so as
user "mythtv"
5) I've just set permissions for the user mythtv's directory to "mythtv"
6) Will see if changing permissions works.

Trying to set up the script in mythtv-setup: Under "Video Source
Setup", with "New Zealand (py)(xmltv)" as the grabber, when I choose
"Configure", it downloads the epg file, then says "WARNING - Config
file already exists, abort (CTRL-C) if you wish to keep current
config".

I can't then do anything from this point. Alt-tabbing to the terminal
I'm running mythtv-setup in is unhelpful - it simply says "Finished
running tv_find_grabbers ... Unlocking input devices". If I hit
"Enter" 17 times, the text "Use channel Maori TV
(maori-tv.freeviewnz.tv)?[y/N] appears along with the rest of the
channels. It seems something is amiss with the config setup process
which I am unable to influence since the terminal text is not
displaying as it should, resulting in a slightly messed up config.
Copying a correctly configured xmltv file doesn't seem to help (i.e.
removing the !disabled channels).

Thoughts /  foolproof guide much appreciated!