[mythtvnz] iOS remote was Re: Configuring the remote (TeVii s480)

Glenn Ramsey gr at componic.co.nz
Thu Jun 7 21:47:50 BST 2012

On 07/06/12 20:53, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 8:32 PM, Nick Rout<nick.rout at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Apparently only localhost. netcat localhost 6456 connects successfully, but
>>> doesn't work with the real IP.
>>>
>>> How does one set it up on the external IP? The setup page does not have this
>>> as an option and I can't find the instructions:
>>>
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_control_socket
>>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-11.html#ss11.5
>>>
>>> Glenn
>>
>> I think you need the whole system to be working on your real address
>> instead of localhost, ie backend working on the real IP, mysql
>> listening on the real IP etc etc.
>>
>> Can be a bit of a mission,<rant>  why does it default to localhost
>> when the moment you want to add another frontend or do network control
>> it needs to be reconfigured?</rant>
>>
>> What distro are you using. Mythbuntu has good ways of changing all
>> this, if you do it right.
>
> OK here's how to change a mythbuntu combined FE/BE listening only on
> 127.0.0.1 to be available on the network to other frontends. Let's
> assume your present BE/FE has address ETHIP, probably something like
> 192.168.1.5 - depends on your LAN setup.

Thanks Nick, that did the trick.

> 1. Close mythfrontend. Then write down your mythtv mysql password,
> obtainable by:
>
> grep Pass ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt
>
> 2. sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-database
>
> you will be asked 1 question, will other computers access mythtv - answer yes
>
> 3. sudo dpkg-reconfigure mythtv-common
>
> you will be asked 3 questions, the first two (name of the database and
> Username) leave as the defaults (mythconverg and mythtv respectively)
> and in the third type in the password you wrote down in 1. (I am not
> 100% sure this is necessary actually).

There were 4 questions, can't remember what the last one was but I didn't have
to change it. Also I didn't reenter the db password and it kept it as it was.

> 4. Run mythtv-setup and then 1. General. Insert ETHIP in the place of
> 127.0.0.1 in the two places (local backend IP address and master
> backend IP address). Proceed hitting "next" and "finish", then exit
> (escape) out of mythtv-setup.
>
> 5. Run mythfrontend and it will probably ask for the backend IP
> address, which is now ETHIP instead of 127.0.0.1. The username and
> password have not changed.
>
> I hope I included everything!

I'm surprised that I didn't find these instructions anywhere. Perhaps there is
just too much noise these days for Google to find them? Where should I be
looking for this kind of information? I'm still stumped on the lirc setup for
the IR remote.

Glenn