[mythtvnz] Just how cheap could you build a system? Possibly OT.

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Thu Jun 7 03:27:49 BST 2012

On Wed, June 6, 2012 4:27 pm, David Moore wrote:
> I've been thinking about what my Dad will do when the analogue switch
> off occurs. I suspect it's not possible to build a reliable dual tuner
> DVB-T system at a price comparable to the commercial PVRs. Any comments?
>
> If I'm right and he/we starts looking for a commercial PVR to replace
> the VCR, any thoughts on good boxes? Seems many are quite flaky.

After what we went through with the two generations of myPVR building
based purely on price is going to be fraught with issues, in particular if
you want a unit to last more than 12-18 months. I've got units still
running after 4+ years.

1. Motherboard - Choose a well respected board from a well known
manufacturer with a low return rate
2. HD - Spend a little more to get an AV drive or something with a good
warranty. Also don't get a drive that has only been out a couple of months
as you don't know what the return rate is like.
3. Tuners - I generally used Hauppauge and Technisat and I've had very
good life from units.

Cost cutting on any of the above will just cause more agro than the money
you will save..

Just my 10c.

Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR