[mythtvnz] Just how cheap could you build a system? Possibly OT.

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:45:33 BST 2012

On Wed, Jun 6, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Does he record at present? Does he want to? I find many people who
>> can't use a VCR. I find people who could use a VCR but have no clue
>> about using their DVD or hard drive recorders. Maybe a DVR will be too
>> complex for him.
>>
>> In which case a simple DVB-S/DVB-T set top box may be sufficient.
>
> Having said that the Magic box recommended by someone else has a great
> reputation.

If I wanted to build a cheap but slightly limited system I would get a
dual core revo for around $450 from trademe. It will have a 320G hard
drive and if you get the right model will have USB3 or eSata for an
external drive, usb2 in any event. In other words easy to add further
storage.

Add a USB DVB-T tuner for under $100 and one of these remotes for
$13US http://rtr.ca/sapphire_remote/

That's less than the magic box but only has one tuner, unless you find
a dual tuner USB job - not sure if they exist. You could really do
with 3 tuners for DVB-T (as there are 3 muxes). Adding a HDHR will get
you 2 more (or get one to start with - I am not sure of the new NZ
price.)

Things get more complex if he doesn't have hdmi on his TV, as a decent
video card (ie nvidia with vdpau support) with analogue out is hard to
find. But if you have to buy a new TV get one like an LG with built in
freeview and ability to record to USB hard drive (but I guess only one
tuner, don't know if it can multirec).