[mythtvnz] No signal on TeVii s480

Glenn Ramsey gr at componic.co.nz
Sat Jun 2 10:10:25 BST 2012

> On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 12:30:07 +1200, you wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to set up a s480 card for watching/recording Freeview over
>> DVB-S but am having no luck so far. Using mythtv-setup or dvbtune or w_scan
>> all show nothing:
>>
>> w_scan -c NZ -f s -s S160E0
>>
>> dvbtune -f 1733000 -s 22500 -p h -m
>>
>> Are those correct?
>>
>> I have a working freeview decoder on the dish which has a 10.750 GHz LNB
>> frequency so I assume that there wouldn't be an issue with the dish or
>> cable.
>>
>> I'm using mythbuntu 12.04 and the firmware from TeVii's website. dmesg
>> shows that the card seems to be happy.
>>
>> What can I do next to diagnose the problem?
>>
>> Cheers Glenn
>
> I had to add the -tone 0 option to get my s470 to tune with dvbtune. I do not
> think I ever got w_scan to work with the s470.  I will have to reinstall it
> and try it out, now that I have a new motherboard.  My TBS 5922 USB DVB-S2
> tuner works much better - it does not seem to need that -tone 0 option, so I
> suspect that it defaults to whatever tone 0 does.  Since w_scan does not have
> any equivalent to -tone 0, that is probably why it does not work with the
> TeVii cards, at least here in NZ.  I was looking at patching w_scan's source
> code to add -tone 0, but then I had to swap to the TBS tuner due to needing
> the PCIe slot the s470 was in for another card, so I never did complete
> that.
>
> The frequencies for Freeview DVB-S are:
>
> 12456000 Hz 12483000 Hz
>
> You need to subtract your LNB frequency (10750000 Hz) from that for dvbtune,
> giving:
>
> 1706000 Hz 1733000 Hz
>
> To get the other scanning utilities to work, you need to use dvbtune to do
> all the tuning, as it is the only one that has the -tone 0 option, IIRC.  So
> you run dvbtune in the background or another bash window, then use the
> options on your scanning program to get it to use an already tuned in tuner.
> For example, with scan or scan-s2, use the -c option.  I wrote myself a
> script to do that automatically.  This is the script for the Freeview DVB-S
> transponders:

Thanks for that. In my case I can't even get past go because dvbtune doesn't
find the signal:

tv at tv:~$ dvbtune -f 1733000 -s 22500 -p h -tone 1 -m
Using DVB card "Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020"
tuning DVB-S to L-Band:-1216698088, Pol:H Srate=22500000, 22kHz=on
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
polling....
^C
tv at tv:~$ dvbtune -f 1706000 -s 22500 -p h -tone 1 -m
Using DVB card "Montage Technology DS3000/TS2020"
tuning DVB-S to L-Band:-1216853736, Pol:H Srate=22500000, 22kHz=on
polling....
Getting frontend event
FE_STATUS:
polling....
polling....
^C

 From searching I see that the L-Band parameter would normally be a small
integer but the value here looks like an uninitialised value. Could that be part
of the problem. How would I fix it?

Glenn