[mythtvnz] A successful, problem-free installation...

David Lowe david at thistledown.co.nz
Fri Jun 1 05:55:12 BST 2012

On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Noel & Diane <noel at igrin.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi David
> Great to hear your success story.  I am curious about your TV - What is the
> model number so I can Google  it?

Its a Sony Bravia KDL32EX520. Plenty of online reviews out there. I'm
obviously pretty happy with it. The sound is barely average but that's
easy to deal with. The UI frankly is more complicated that it needs to
be, and I've already started googling around to see if it's possible
to hack the OS... nothing obvious yet.

Our system is a similar vintage, and save for power cuts has been up all the
> time.  One HDD failure on (thank goodness) the system drive prompted me to
> get a SATA raid card and set up a raid array for my recordings etc over 4
> HDDs.  I have a 2-disk mirrored array for the system drive.  The only
> problems I have had are all self-created by (un-necessary) "tweaking".

And yes I know many of you will be horrified that I'm running an
entire system on a single drive, but I was really trying to re-create
something like a consumer appliance. It might break, but it will have
been fun. I'll probably add an external SATA drive to the Revo for
more capacity. Actually, we had a (rare) power outage last night. The
system restored itself gracefully with no obvious harm caused.

- David