[mythtvnz] Myth & Raid. SW or HW..

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 17:34:53 BST 2012

On Wednesday, 18 July 2012, Toby Mills wrote:

> >All storage will die eventually.  Thats why you backup the stuff you
> can't replace,
>
> I would avoid raid for mythtv, its just not necessary and can result in
> file fragmentation.
> I run 5 x 130Gb drives mounted as separate storage groups. That means I
> can record 5 programs at once and each is written to a different spindle.

 Great so, should a drive fail, you lost all content of that drive. Things
that wouldn't happen with raid.

Thousands of users using raid with myth with no problem whatsoever.

This means the files never get fragmented and the performance is out of
> this world.

 This thread keeps getting better and better in accumulation of nonsense.

You can pick up an old DELL server on trademe for a couple of hundred bucks
> and build the ultimate mythbackend.
> I am running VMWare on mine, so I can also experiment with a non
> production version of Myth on the same physical box or other virtual
> appliances.
>
> Also, if I have a HD failure, I would only lose 1/5th of my recordings,
> not really the end of the world given anything important can be downloaded
> easily.
> This configuration gives far superior performance for mythtv than any RAID
> setup ever will and provides adequate redundancy.
> it also means if anything goes down, I just slot in a new disk, mount it
> and I'm away again in 10 minutes, far quicker than rebuilding RAID arrays.

According to whom? Your self written fact books?
Rebuilding an array doesn't mean it will be offline during that time..

As for providing superior performance, I'm not sure where you got that
"fact" from but it couldn't be further from the truth.

My RAID5 array, made of 5*2TB green drives gives me over 250MB/s of write
speed for a single file, the maximum speed you will ever get from a single
drive is about 80MB/s with your typical drive.