[mythtvnz] Myth & Raid. SW or HW..

Criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Thu Jul 19 04:57:45 BST 2012

Steve Hodge wrote:
> All that said, I agree that storage groups are the way to go for
recordings.

Finally some common sense!

There's different tiers of importance here

What		Importance	Store on:

TV recordings	Low		MythTV Storage Groups
They'll expire eventually and your life won't stop for missing a TV
programme episode.

Exported TV	Medium-low	A disk or a RAID
For some reason you've decided to rip DVDs you own and its a lot of work.
See comment above.

Exported music	Medium		RAID5
Same as exported TV, but smaller files while more time consuming to make.
Mine total 79 GB so I store them with my personal files.

Personal files	High		RAID1 + local backup + offsite backup
These are your photos, things you've made that can't be obtained again at
a later date.

Critical files	Insane		RAID1 + local backup + multiple offsite backups
Wedding video
Anything to do with earthquake claims/photos/proof
Tax and financial documentation
Anything needed for legal reasons.

So in the sliding scale of importance, TV's pretty low.
RAID1 the operating system for your own convenience but don't waste
storage on non-critical media.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/