[mythtvnz] Myth & Raid. SW or HW..

Johan Schuld johanschuld at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 09:42:27 BST 2012

Hi All,

A while back the HD on my mythbox died and had to replace it with an old
250Gig ATA drive I had lying around. Not the best option with HD recordings
etc.

So, as HD will inevitably die, my plan is to buy some new HD's and put them
in a RAID array. Thinking RAID1 as I currently don't have the funds to buy
more than 2 drives.

I've done quite some research so far about the options and wondered what
the easiest and most reliable solution. I.e. I know people having a HW Raid
using a Dell Perc 5/i card. These are so common they can be picked up for
less than $100NZ inc shipping from ebay and with some SAS to SATA cables
they run fine with SATA drives.  A cheaper option would obviously be SW
Raid, but not that much cheaper.

Regardless of SW or HW, I'm thinking of 2x 2TB drives, in Raid1. I've been
looking at the WD Green ones as they are competitively priced and silent
(pc is under the TV). That drive has been discussed many times here so I am
aware that they might have issues in SW raid, I'm just still looking at a
similar drive from another vendor.

As Raid1 is really not that much overhead, should I just not bother with HW
raid, and let linux do the job? (Opensuse 12.1) . Can I transfer a already
existing non-raid install to a SW raid1 config? For now I'll run the OS and
media storage on one raid volume, I might split that out later when I can
afford some more drives.

I can find quite some info about Raid, but not so much in combination with
Myth.. don't want to do stuff that's overkill, but like to have stuff that
works (particulary when one drive fails ;)

Cheers
J.