[mythtvnz] XMLTV headers changed

Robin Gilks g8ecj at gilks.org
Sat Jul 7 08:25:53 BST 2012

Greetings

It seems that the data contained in http://nzepg.org/freeview.xml.gz had a
change of header last weekend.

I followed the conversation about mhegsnoop having a header change but
didn't realise it would propagate to the online data.

This is a real problem for me as I merge data from epgsnoop with the
online stuff (which has more detail for FreeView) using 'tv_cat' from the
xmltv package and it barfs with:
"/tmp/listings-freeview-31681.xml: this file's encoding utf-8 differs from
others' ISO-8859-1 - aborting"

So the online data now has utf-8 in the header but the epgsnoop data is
ISO-8859-1. I tried changing outputter.py (in epgsnoop) to utf-8 but the
data from satellite EPG has some interesting 8 bit characters (which I
assume really are ISO-8859-1 codes).

So who is right - utf-8 or ISO-8859-1 and how can I merge the two
different encodings if they are both right!!

Cheers

--
Robin Gilks