[mythtvnz] TV1+1 freeview.xml header update?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Wed Jul 4 09:21:25 BST 2012

On 3/07/2012 11:30 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM, tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>> On 3/07/2012 8:59 a.m., Nick Rout wrote:
>>
>>> Direct manipulation of the sql is deprecated.
>>
>> Do you have a reference to support this purported deprecation?
>
> 1. Common sense

Mmmmm Whose? Is it widely held?

> 2. Regular reading of mythtv-users in particular posts by developers
> like Michael Dean who say not to fiddle with the SQL unless you REALLY
> know how mythtv interacts with the database and how the tables relate
> to each other.

My understanding is that there is some dev preference to change the SQL
database however it will still be SQL.

To me that means no SQL deprecation.

I also understand that direct and careful SQL manipulations are more
flexible and reliable than the tool which is designed to do a subset of
the tasks that SQL does, and when I've used it in the past it caused
more issues than it fixed.

Doing SQL changes with list user scrutiny seems a fair and reasonable
way to minimise risks as well as pass on the knowledge to others and
make it easier for them.

> 3. The fact that you got it wrong (see Hadley's response to your post).

{deliberate 24 hour pause} I recall that he'd posted I was right, so who
got it wrong?

More significantly I think it preferable that people attack issues and
not people in this forum. IMO the people trained in diplomacy should set
the best example.

I think the problem that's getting everyone excited is not open or
closed SQL access, its documentation.  That is whether there are tools
that prevent the need for SQL or there are tools short of the
requirements, either way a concise set of complete documentation is
highly desirable. A good set of SQL documentation would minimise risks,
as would a great set-up tool also well documented. I think mythtv is a
long way off from being configured by our proverbial wives.

A versioned entity relationship diagram would be very helpful and would
IMO be better and more efficient for dev's to spend their time on than
locking down SQL access, which is contrary to the philosophy most of us
subscribe to here.

Thanks Steve for pointing out one flaw in the approach I'd outlined.

Instead of getting excited about philosophical design issues and control
of users we might have worked out how to add a new unique robust chanid
that overcomes the separation of the old TVNZ7 recordings and the new
channel 7 recording icons...and move on....