[mythtvnz] TV1+1 freeview.xml header update?

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Wed Jul 4 05:59:07 BST 2012

On 03/07/12 16:34, Worik Stanton wrote:
> On 03/07/12 16:13, David Moore wrote:
> [snip]
>>> It would be a great service if some one could explain *how* to update
>>> the back end to deal with the demise of TVNZ7 and the rise of TV1+1 (or
>>> whatever it is called). Words of one syllable if possible....
> [snip]
>> I know what you mean about mythtv-setup. One reason (just one, there
>> are others too) that I use sql is that it's quicker and simpler IMHO
>> so long as you understand (roughly in my case) the relationships
>> between tables.
>>
>> Using mythtv-setup, which should be under System>Administration in
>> Ubuntu, called "Mythtv backend setup" I think, you need to go into the
>> channel editor and do a channel scan. I don't think there is any other
>> way to add a channel in mythtv-setup. I have had unpleasant
>> experiences with channel scans so I always do manual sql channel edits
>> now.
>
> Does anyone have clear instructions? Ways to avoid "unpleasant
> experiences"?
>

>> Unfortunately the wiki
>> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:MythTV_structure#Channel_Editor)
>> seems a bit light on channel editing.
>
> And if you start from very little knowledge it is inscrutable. That is
> what is good about lists like this. Things can be explained clearly for
> a local context.
>>
>> To make a new channel based on an old channel using sql I do this:
>>
> [SQL queries snipped!]
>
> Nick. This is your que... If you do not want people editing SQL
> databases..... Some one has to explain how to do it in the backend using
> mythtv-setup.

I decided to give scanning another shot but only after backing up my db.
:) It's not too bad. Didn't trash my existing channels this time. But it
found 3 channels which aren't actually live in Auckland so I had to
delete these. (Seems the scan may rely on info in the MPEG TS PAT or PMT
rather than test tuning every channel.) I chose the manual option to
enter the new channels and let it suggest channel numbers so I wouldn't
get any conflicts with existing channels. I think you'll need to
manually enter xmltv ids after the new channels are created.