[mythtvnz] Dying OS HDD - What would others do?

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Jul 1 09:52:02 BST 2012

Hi
I've got mythbuntu 10.04 LTS running on a backend with 3 x 2TB drives, a
4th 2TB drive connected over eSATA (for media copies and now OS
backups!) and the OS on an oldish 120G SATA HDD that is failing and I
assume is the one making noise....

The reallocated sector count has risen I think with a crash this evening
that required a reboot from 6 to 21 sectors.  SMART status has gone from
healthy to unknown.

I've got a 60G SSD that was intended for a new frontend however it seems
I need to use this as a replacement for the OS drive.

The options I see are to
1 run up a new copy of 10.04 and try to copy back stuff
2 try to copy the file system to the new SSD
3 run up a later version.

Starting with 3 I don't want to do this, I think I need to recreate a
working system before I upgrade from:

mythtv0:/usr/share/mythtv$ mythfrontend --version
xprop:  unable to open display ''
MythTV Version   : 26863
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
Network Protocol : 23056
Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
QT Version       : 4.6.2
Options compiled in:
  linux debug using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv
using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libudev using_lirc using_mheg
using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit
using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld
using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg

to 0.25.  Aside from the HDD issues 0.23 is still (largely) meeting our
needs.  When I have some time I'll run up 0.25 on a new machine and try
to copy across or start again...  For now I need the system to continue
as is.

Option 2 I'm not sure where to start to do it this way however I expect
it could be done, can anyone give me a starting pointer? Or should I do
option 1?

Option 1 seems the most robust - and ? the longest way to do it.

I've been copying stuff off the dying drive.

So far I've copied:
/var/log/
/var/lib/
/var/www/
/home/
/etc/
The database backup is writing to one of the 2T drives so those are also
safe.
I've copied my repo URL's also.
Anything else I need?  Any suggestions?