[mythtvnz] tv_grab_nz-py set up

Curtis Walker sultanoswing at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 21:56:50 GMT 2012

On 23 January 2012 09:42, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> mythtvnz mailing list
> >> mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
> >> Archives http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/
> >
> > There's a recent thread with some infomation you might find useful,
> > including a simple bash script I wrote to pull the epg data and run
> > mythfilldatabase automagically (once you cron it).
> >
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/494548?page=unread#unread\
> >
> > I personally couldn't get the tv_grab_nz-py script to work for me, and
> > after a few frustrating days took matters into my own hands.
> >
> > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/mythtvnz/494548?page=unread#unread
> >

> Do you put the script in any particular location?

It needs to go into a distribution-specific location if you want cron
to run it (check your distro's documentation with respect to cron
jobs). But no, otherwise it can be run from anywhere.

You can check the script is working by running it from a terminal e.g.
"./updateEPG.sh". You should see it download the EPG data and run
mythfilldatabase. Then check to see it has worked by checking your
myth Programme Guide.

Sorry, I can't recall the exact details of how I set mine up as a cron
job at 3am (I run Arch Linux), but it's pretty straighforward.

Good luck!