[mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 18:31:10 GMT 2012

> Message: 1
> Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 17:03:39 +1300
> From: Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com>
> Subject: [mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations
> To: mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz
>
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:58:15 +1300, Paulgir <paulgir at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:46:20 +1300
>>> From: Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations
>>> To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>

>>> Now is a terrible time to purchase a drive - so unless you absolutely
>>> have to, recycle that 160GB.
>>> In early October, Western Digital and Seagate had a junket in
>>> Thailand. WD was buying Hitachi GST and already owns the late Maxtor,
>>> and Seagate was buying Samsung. Both were well aware of this and had
>>> been for over a year, and appear to have wanted to come to an
>>> arrangement as to how they wanted to divide the market between each
>>> other, now that there would be effectively only two big hard disk
>>> manufacturers.
>>> Thanks also to July floods in Thailand they decided what might be best
>>> was to arrange for the big OEMs to buy huge loads in bulk to offset
>>> the Q4 losses they would have from the purchases otherwise (and shore
>>> up for any potential flood damage, which they?d use as the reason for
>>> the resulting shortage, despite being fully insured.
>>> They held another ?consultation? in Thailand on October 17th and
>>> appear to have decided this would make a?brilliant?excuse, and they?d
>>> need the funds on tap to refurb the flood-damaged plants afterwards,
>>> and agreed with each other to fix the prices, jacking them up
>>> dramatically across the board: despite it only taking an estimate of 8
>>> weeks to refurbish the machinery after the floods subsided?in fact, it
>>> was in full production again by November 30th, well ahead of schedule
>>> (they rushed it), although one building was still under 2 foot of
>>> water by early December. This was offset ?WD used Hitachi GST?s
>>> various un-flooded production facilities to produce the shortfall of
>>> WD drives.
>>> Effect of the price-fixing was immediate: the price pretty much
>>> doubled-to-tripled across the board, sometimes even higher, and
>>> retailers started limiting supply. Profits were high and enormous
>>> insurance claims had gone in, and the executives appeared to have been
>>> in quite a congratulatory mood by mid-December - production was back
>>> up to what appears to be full capacity, prices were still flying high,
>>> sales were still limited, they?d cherry-picked the last of the
>>> pre-flood drives for sale to OEMs at inflated prices, and were selling
>>> the brand new drives to the wholesale retail channel for almost twice
>>> what they were worth before October. The executives have pocketed a
>>> very nice Christmas bonus.
>>> There's more: The first lot of drives off the refurbished production
> [...]
Back on the problem with the HVR-2200.I haven't been able to actually test
it
yet,but I did go through the set up on a Myth backend.Initially it wasn't
recognised and did not appear in the capture cards section.I followed some
driver firmware install instructions on ubuntu forums and MythTV.org.It is
now
recognised.It appears as a VL4 analog capture card instead of a DVB DTV
capture card which one post said it should be.I don't know if this is
correct.
My thread on ubuntu forums is here:
This is the output of demsg | grep saa:
paul at myth:~$ dmesg | grep saa
\[ 14.200625] saa7164 driver loaded
[ 14.200660] saa7164 0000:03:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ
17
[ 14.201242] CORE saa7164[0]: subsystem: 0070:8940, board: Hauppauge
WinTV-HVR2200 [card=4,insmod option]
[ 14.201246] saa7164[0]/0: found at 0000:03:00.0, rev: 129, irq: 17,
latency: 0, mmio: 0xfb800000
[ 14.201253] saa7164 0000:03:00.0: setting latency timer to 64
[ 14.359232] saa7164_downloadfirmware() no first image
[ 14.359243] saa7164_downloadfirmware() Waiting for firmware upload
(NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw)
[ 14.788012] saa7164_downloadfirmware() firmware read 4019072 bytes.
[ 14.788014] saa7164_downloadfirmware() firmware loaded.
[ 14.788022] saa7164_downloadfirmware() SecBootLoader.FileSize = 4019072
[ 14.788028] saa7164_downloadfirmware() FirmwareSize = 0x1fd6
[ 14.788030] saa7164_downloadfirmware() BSLSize = 0x0
[ 14.788031] saa7164_downloadfirmware() Reserved = 0x0
[ 14.788032] saa7164_downloadfirmware() Version = 0x1661c00
[ 21.635726] saa7164_downloadimage() Image downloaded, booting...
[ 21.739620] saa7164_downloadimage() Image booted successfully.
[ 23.857542] saa7164_downloadimage() Image downloaded, booting...
[ 25.519905] saa7164_downloadimage() Image booted successfully.
[ 25.564461] saa7164[0]: Hauppauge eeprom: model=89619
[ 25.925131] DVB: registering new adapter (saa7164)
[ 28.555614] DVB: registering new adapter (saa7164)
[ 28.555839] saa7164[0]: registered device video0 [mpeg]
[ 28.786961] saa7164[0]: registered device video1 [mpeg]
[ 28.997134] saa7164[0]: registered device vbi0 [vbi]
[ 28.997156] saa7164[0]: registered device vbi1 [vbi]

Are there any good guides to using/setting up MythTV?

Cheers

Paul