[mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 18:58:15 GMT 2012

> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 19:46:20 +1300
> From: Curtis Walker <sultanoswing at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations
> To: MythTV in NZ <mythtvnz at lists.linuxnut.co.nz>
> On 10 January 2012 18:49, criggie <criggie at criggie.org.nz> wrote:
>>
>> > I'd recommend that the boot drive is a small (say 64GB) SSD as it
>> makes
>> > trying out new stuff and rebooting very fast!
>> > Cheers Douglas

>> > I have a spare 160 GB drive for the OS .I did consider an SSD but as I
>> > have the 160 I will leave that for the future.
>> > Paul
>>
>> Paul - I agree with Wade, so using the 160 is a great idea for OS.
>> Personally I'd love some SSDs but they're not reasonably priced yet.
>> Its only TV - the difference in speed between normal HDD and SSD isn't
>> going to make any real difference.
>> You can put a swap file on whichever of your hard drives is fastest, if
>> you need swap.
>> Adding more storage later is straightforward... just tell myth that it
>> can
>> store in /myth1, /myth2, ... /mythX ? No need to mess about with raid
>> and
>> md devices.
>>

> Now is a terrible time to purchase a drive - so unless you absolutely
> have to, recycle that 160GB.
> In early October, Western Digital and Seagate had a junket in
> Thailand. WD was buying Hitachi GST and already owns the late Maxtor,
> and Seagate was buying Samsung. Both were well aware of this and had
> been for over a year, and appear to have wanted to come to an
> arrangement as to how they wanted to divide the market between each
> other, now that there would be effectively only two big hard disk
> manufacturers.
> Thanks also to July floods in Thailand they decided what might be best
> was to arrange for the big OEMs to buy huge loads in bulk to offset
> the Q4 losses they would have from the purchases otherwise (and shore
> up for any potential flood damage, which they?d use as the reason for
> the resulting shortage, despite being fully insured.
> They held another ?consultation? in Thailand on October 17th and
> appear to have decided this would make a?brilliant?excuse, and they?d
> need the funds on tap to refurb the flood-damaged plants afterwards,
> and agreed with each other to fix the prices, jacking them up
> dramatically across the board: despite it only taking an estimate of 8
> weeks to refurbish the machinery after the floods subsided?in fact, it
> was in full production again by November 30th, well ahead of schedule
> (they rushed it), although one building was still under 2 foot of
> water by early December. This was offset ?WD used Hitachi GST?s
> various un-flooded production facilities to produce the shortfall of
> WD drives.
> Effect of the price-fixing was immediate: the price pretty much
> [...]

I was surprised that the prices weren't lower - so that explains it.
I wonder what chance of them coming down in the future if WD and Seagate
have a duopoly?
I tested the system with an Ubuntu 11.10 live USB stick.I get HDMI video
straight off.
No sound yet via HDMI.I will temporarily install 11.10 and install the
Nvidia drivers
to see if that gives me sound also look at ALSA mixer settings.
I fitted Arctic Cooler F Pro fans to the case - these are very quiet.
Cheers
Paul