[mythtvnz] New list member - Hardware recommendations

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Tue Jan 10 05:49:22 GMT 2012

> I'd recommend that the boot drive is a small (say 64GB) SSD as it makes
> trying out new stuff and rebooting very fast!
> Cheers Douglas

>> My only comment would be to add a 2nd small hard drive for the OS and
>> MySQL.  Leave the 1TB dedicated to just your recordings.
>> - Wade

> I have a spare 160 GB drive for the OS .I did consider an SSD but as I
> have the 160 I will leave that for the future.
> Paul

Paul - I agree with Wade, so using the 160 is a great idea for OS.
Personally I'd love some SSDs but they're not reasonably priced yet.
Its only TV - the difference in speed between normal HDD and SSD isn't
going to make any real difference.
You can put a swap file on whichever of your hard drives is fastest, if
you need swap.
Adding more storage later is straightforward... just tell myth that it can
store in /myth1, /myth2, ... /mythX   No need to mess about with raid and
md devices.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.dyndns.org/