[mythtvnz] Multicast your noisy frontend or backend to a quiet box?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Sat Feb 4 01:04:17 GMT 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 2:01 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 12:01 PM, tortise <tortise at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>> Seems VLC may be able to transcode and multi/unicast a desktop screen.
>>
>> I've not got it working but the flurry of debug messages suggest it might
>> work, and it seems its flooding my LAN as traffic is challenged.
>>
>> VLC runs and may be casting the screen, however memory climbs until it, and
>> the swap are exhausted where it then kills itself.
>>
>> Predictably VLC 1.1.4 looks more promising than 1.0.6.
>>
>> I am now using Frontend VLC server:
>> DISPLAY=:0 cvlc -vv screen:// --sout
>> "#transcode{vcodec=h264,acodec=mpga,vb=800,ab=128}:standard{access=udp,mux=ts,url=239.255.12.42:5004}"
>>
>> VLC client also not sure, possibilities might include rtp or udp versions
>> of:
>> rtp://@:5004
>> rtp://239.255.12.42@:5004
>>
>> Anyone interested in this concept or advancing it?
>
> I fail to see what this has to do with mythtv.
>
> But if you are trying to send a facsimile of a mythfrontend screen
> around the house why not simply install mythfrontend on the  target
> machine?

in particular, you are taking a compressed video, sending it over the
network from backend to frontend, uncompressing it to your video card,
compressing it again with vlc, transmitting it over a network,
uncompressing it again to the target machine's video card. Seems a
colossal waste of effort., not to mention downgrade in quality as a
result of the multiple decoding and encoding.