[mythtvnz] Suitable Frontend

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 01:34:13 GMT 2012

On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 7, 2012 at 1:00 AM, Steve Hodge <stevehodge at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:49 PM, Don Robertson <don at robertson.net.nz>wrote:
>>
>>> I would kind of like to get a system that works on any TV. I thought
>>> Open Source was a way to avoid lock in.
>>

>> There are no universal answers. The closest you'll get to a system that
>> works on any TV is something that outputs an NTSC signal over a composite
>> video connection. I'm sure that is not what you want - but even if you
>> meant "any new TV" it's just not that simple.
>>
>> I think you mean PAL not NTSC

Nope. I was being facetious but I think you'll find more PAL TVs that
accept NTSC signals than NTSC TVs that accept PAL signals. Therefore if you
really want to support "any TV" globally you are better off outputting an
NTSC signal - it's the closest thing there is to a lowest common
denominator (though there are plenty of older PAL TVs that don't accept
NTSC signals).

Cheers,