[mythtvnz] Suitable Frontend

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 03:21:10 GMT 2012

On Tue, Dec 4, 2012 at 2:16 PM, Don Robertson <don at robertson.net.nz> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have go a Pentium 4 3ghz running as a backend with Mythbuntu - as
> discussed on this list :-)
>
> This machine is okay - cannot quite cope with recording HD TV, or
> Commercial Flagging *and* serving media to my laptop. But it can record two
> (sometimes three) channels, and will do for now. It is too loud for the
> living room though.
>
> I would like to get a machine for a front end, and any suggestions anyone
> has. Quiet is good :-)
>
> Given my backend is a P4 - would this be good enough for a front end?
>
> A number of machines have DVI out - can can I use this to output full hd
> using a DVI to HDMI cable?
>
> Could I use a vga to rca type cable to get full hd?
>
> Anyway - thanks for the help :-)
>
> DOn

Revo R3700 is my best front end.

I did make a cheaper frontend the other day with a HP DC7100 P4 SFF machine
for $50 http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=530648092 paired
with a fanless GT520
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=531670969

You cannot get HD full stop with an rca cable - a single RCA cable implies
composite video which will only give you SD. Same with s-video. Three RCA
cables will give you component, but there aren't man y video cards with
component out these days.

Really for a decent video card (read nvidia with vdpau support) there is
only VGA, DVI and HDMI).

If you don't have a TV that supports HDMI, your options are somewhat
limited. Tell us what you are playing into and there may be more advice
forthcoming.