[mythtvnz] Sky STB internal DC voltage.

criggie criggie at criggie.org.nz
Sat Aug 4 14:40:01 BST 2012

On 04/08/12 21:53, yuri wrote:
> On 3 August 2012 19:40, Paulgir wrote:
>> A friend has asked me if I can build a 12V to whatever supply to make a
>> Sk...... STB mobile (I know Sky don't like their STBs "migrating").This is
>> for use in a camper.
>
> Any reason why they don't just put an inverter in the camper?
> An inverter would allow them to plug in any 230V appliance.

Two reasons

1)	Inverting to 230V AC then rectifying back to 12V DC is a waste of
power, which is important if you're off the grid.  Not so much if you're
in a caravan park with power.

2)	Inverters don't generally create the cleanest AC wave form.  Mine
puts out a two step square wave, which is enough to make a CRT buzz, and
also made the magic smoke come out of a watt-meter

There are special DVD/VHS players and TVs/monitors which have 12V DC in
and are designed to work in a caravan.  I doubt many are
freeview-compliant though.

--
Criggie

http://criggie.org.nz/