[mythtvnz] Freeview-T UHF Antenna in strong signal area

Paulgir paulgir at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 21:28:41 BST 2012

 from the antenna.

> Now I'm not an antenna expert but I know enough about them to know these
> things can be quite critical. Simply fitting a high-gain antenna (a long
> one) with a masthead amp might just create a too strong signal. Well, at
> least with analog that was the case so I assume digital will have similar
> issues(?)  so I'm wondering what the right plan of attack is.
>
> If I look around the area, some houses have the really small antenna like
> we have, and some have a big high-gain antenna. I wonder if the big ones
> are placed because of similar DVB receiving issues? But they are a bit
> too
> expensive to just try it out. So I was thinking the following, in order
> of
> preference/trying out.
>
> 1: Get a medium/high gain antenna and mount and cable it properly. Get
> rid
> of the soon to be useless VHF antenna.
> 2: Put a mast head amp in. (I like the Kingray ones)
> 3: Relocate the antenna to the other side of the house which has line of
> sight and effectively divides the required cable length by 3 at least.
>
> Are there any antenna experts here which can comment?

I'm in Kaukapakapa and have 50km line of site path to Waiatarua,with only
One nearby hill in the way.My signal is pretty good,considering.I recently
installed
91 element beam antenna (the long style) to improve things.These are
available
 From Jaycar for around $100 and that is the retail best price I found.
I was informed that in areas that the signal is blocked by
buildings,hills,trees etc,
a phased array (the flat style) will perform better.Jaycar has these for
$86.
If you know someone that can get a trade discount at electrical
wholesalers,you
can get them around $10 cheaper.

http://www.jaycar.co.nz/productView.asp?ID=LT3182&form=CAT2&SUBCATID=1016#4

http://matchmaster.co.nz/uhf-tv-antennas/phased-array/02mm-ee06