[mythtvnz] Freeview-T UHF Antenna in strong signal area

Johan Schuld johanschuld at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 11:45:28 BST 2012

Hi All,

Continuing on my recent post about making my Nova-TD500 work properly, I
have now observed the following.

1: HVR4000 = Perfect reception on all Channels
2: Nova-TD500 = Poor reception, barely watchable
3: HVR2000 = Reasonable reception, however TV3 is very bad or does not even
work.
4: Set Top Box = Perfect reception on all Channels

Which makes me think that possibly it's "Dual" cards that need a better
signal than a single tuner card, although to me it seems a bit unlikely.

Anyway, as I have identified that my antenna, antenna position and cable
are all in average condition, I decided to do the whole thing properly and
replace the antenna and possibly add a masthead amp.

I live in Te Atatu Peninsula, Auckland where UHF signal strength is
supposed to be quite strong as it's close to the transmitter. Our house is
fitted with a medium/low-gain antenna (kinda like this one, but maybe even
smaller: http://www.freetv.co.nz/webapps/p/61418/52840/306850). No masthead
amp, no diplexer fitted (so just one antenna connected). However, an VHF
antenna above it. Line of sight very blocked by a big and dense tree 10m
from the antenna.

Now I'm not an antenna expert but I know enough about them to know these
things can be quite critical. Simply fitting a high-gain antenna (a long
one) with a masthead amp might just create a too strong signal. Well, at
least with analog that was the case so I assume digital will have similar
issues(?)  so I'm wondering what the right plan of attack is.

If I look around the area, some houses have the really small antenna like
we have, and some have a big high-gain antenna. I wonder if the big ones
are placed because of similar DVB receiving issues? But they are a bit too
expensive to just try it out. So I was thinking the following, in order of
preference/trying out.

1: Get a medium/high gain antenna and mount and cable it properly. Get rid
of the soon to be useless VHF antenna.
2: Put a mast head amp in. (I like the Kingray ones)
3: Relocate the antenna to the other side of the house which has line of
sight and effectively divides the required cable length by 3 at least.

Are there any antenna experts here which can comment?