[mythtvnz] Laptop recommendation for HD MythTV

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 08:38:26 BST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:22 PM, Joel Wiramu Pauling <joel at aenertia.net> wrote:
> VAAPI Works with MythTV on most recent ATI hardware, and has done for
> a while now.

Only if you use 0.25 as far as I understand. (Listed as a new feature
in 0.25 release notes http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Release_Notes_-_0.25)

VAAPI does not offer all of the features that nVidia/VDPAU offer.
nVidia drivers have great support for EDID problems and other features
that are a real bonus for an HTPC. Of course in a laptop with a built
in screen that may not be a problem, but if you want to HDMI it to
random TVs/Screens then it may be even more of an issue.

Also ATi cards do not de-interlace in hardware, meaning you still need
to have a grunty CPU for that function. Whether that goes for VAAPI as
a whole, or just ATi cards I do not know.

> I use XBMC as a frontend in these situations to tvheadend (rather than
> Myth) - PVR functionality is still no where near Myth... it does the
> trick.

Out of interest are you using mythbox or some other plugin?