[mythtvnz] Laptop recommendation for HD MythTV

Aaron Whitehouse lists at whitehouse.org.nz
Wed Apr 4 06:24:00 BST 2012

Hi all,

I've followed this list for a very long time and know a fair bit about
VAAPI, VDPAU etc. We are looking to buy a new midrange laptop.

The most strenuous thing that we do on our computers is play HD video.
Ideally, we could use the laptop as an alternate frontend if the other
person is watching the main TV. I am therefore interested in finding out
what people have found are the minimum requirements for a laptop to play
NZ FreeviewHD in MythTV.

I realise that the easiest option would be an nVidia card that supports
VDPAU. I would prefer to stick to support ATi because of their support
of Free Linux drivers, if it isn't going to be a lifetime of headaches.
Has anyone managed to get MythTV working with VAAPI and ATi on NZ
FreeviewHD content (yes, I realise that this hypocritically requires the
non-Free ATi drivers)? How about the video chip built into the Intel
i3/i5? I've read:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Choosing_Frontend_Hardware#Hardware_Playback

I understand that ffmpeg has now merged in the ffmpeg-mt branch. Is the
ffmpeg in MythTV now multithreaded for non-sliced content? If so, what
kind of processor is necessary to decode HD H.264? I have read
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Choosing_Frontend_Hardware#Software_Playback

I'll be running Ubuntu on it, so clearly strong Ubuntu support is a
must. As I've hinted at, I would prefer one that used no non-Free
drivers/firmware.

Thanks in advance!

Aaron