[mythtvnz] configuring hvr-2200 card

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Mon Sep 19 05:28:10 BST 2011

On 17/09/11 21:38, Robin Gilks wrote:

>> On 17/09/11 8:03 PM, "Roger Searle"<roger.searle at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> As a firmware/mythtv newbie, sorry I can't provide any clarity on how/if
>>> you might get your analog going.
>>>

>> It has 2 tuners either both analog OR digital (but not at the same time).
>> If you are not using /dev/dvb/adapterX (digital) you should be able to
>> /dev/videoX for analog the same as other analog devices. In mythtv would
>> you group the 2 digital tuners and 2 analog tuners each in a group so it
>> will not use them both at the same time. (or it will fail)
>>
>> At the same when I had it the 2200 in mythtv the analog was not going
>> correctly (but I think they have fixed that (maybe) so I tried and gave up
>> (as I didn't need analog TV)
>>
>> Thanks
>
> Well I for one hope the analog works as I just bought one 2 days ago to
> use to capture the svideo output of my Sky box.
>
> When it arrives next week I'll let people know - if it doesn't work on
> that port then I guess I'll be writing drivers (busmans holiday!!)

I built/installed the entire latest linuxtv media tree to get the
latest(?) saa7164 driver running on my machine. As expected it needs the
NXP7164-2010-03-10.1.fw firmware and creates /dev/video and /dev/vbi
devices as well as /dev/dvb devices. BUT as far as I can tell PAL TV is
not supported. I tried a few things including mplayer, vlc and a python
v4l2 library but although I briefly got black and white video with no
audio (would you expect this with an NTSC tuner synced to a PAL
signal??) working with vlc everything else indicates only NTSC is
supported. Mplayer reports only 3 NTSC standards supported. Same with
the python v4l2 module. Browsing the saa7164 driver source also seems to
indicate hard coding for NTSC support only. Might be a workaround or a
patch but I haven't found it yet.