[mythtvnz] Anyone using an HVR-900 USB tuner?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Sep 14 16:02:46 BST 2011

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 21:59:04 +1200, you wrote:

>If so does the svideo input work OK and any idea is it does hardware
>encoding to mpeg2 as the Hauppauge info page talks about SoftPVR when it
>gets to the analog part of the description.
>
>I assume the DVB-T part works OK...
>
>Cheers

There seem to be two or three variants of the HVR-900.  Mine on my
laptop is the second version (marked B2C0) and DVB-T does not work.
There used to be some drivers that worked for this variant but they
were never merged into the kernel and support has been dropped.  There
was also some mention of someone working on this variant again
recently, so I try new kernels occasionally to see if they work.

The first version of the HVR-900 is reported to work, at least with
DVB-T.

I believe the MPEG2 support is software based.  At one time I did use
the S-Video input to capture a couple of tapes, but IIRC I used
Windows for that.  I captured to raw AVI format on an external eSata
drive, then converted that to DivX, so I never tried a real time MPEG2
capture.