[mythtvnz] Does HVR-2200 have FM radio support?

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Sep 8 08:32:33 BST 2011

On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 18:14:42 +1200, you wrote:

>On 08/09/11 15:47, Stephen Worthington wrote:
>> My mother wants to be able to record FM radio on her MythTV box, so I
>> am looking at what support there is for doing this.  I found this
>> page:
>>
>>    http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Fm_radio
>>
>> which shows how to hack it together if there is a card with /dev/radio
>> device support.  If I want to put a PVR-150 in her box to do that, I
>> need a PCI slot, and both are full at present.  So I was wondering if
>> the HVR-2200 has FM support in Linux.  Is there anyone out there who
>> has an HVR-2200 working, who could do:
>>
>>    ls -al /dev/rad*
>>
>> and see if they have a /dev/radio device?
>>
>> Does anyone know how to work out what hardware is attached to any
>> given /dev device, to make sure that a /dev/radio device is actually
>> on an HVR-2200 card and not some other hardware?
>>
>Nope. No /dev/radio on my system (Ubuntu 10.04, kernel
>2.6.32-33-generic). I'm using Steven Toth's firmware version 1.0.3. I'm
>pretty sure his release notes said only DVB-T works and nothing else.
>
>I suppose you'll never get any access to or info about the device if the
>firmware doesn't support it.

Thanks for that.  It looks like I will need to use Plan B then, and
add a USB DVB-T tuner and replace one PCI DVB-T card with a PVR-150.

Has anyone ever used the FM tuner on a PVR-150?  Does it record with
decent quality?  My mother wants to record opera from the local
Gramophone Room station as well as National radio, so quality needs to
be good enough for that.