[mythtvnz] Wiert antenna problem

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu Oct 27 08:30:42 BST 2011

On Thu, 27 Oct 2011 18:52:51 +1300, you wrote:

>I have a Nova-T stick and a Samsung digital TV plugged into the same
>antenna.  The TV has good rteception but not the stick.  Is it possible
>that this is due to the inferior quality tuner in the stick?
>
>Does this mean I need to upgrade my antenna?
>
>cheers
>Worik

It is possible you may need to add the lna option to force the low
noise amplifier on.  On Mythbuntu, go to the /etc/modprobe.d
directory.  If it is not already present, create a file called
options-dvb.conf and put something like this in it:

options dvb_usb_dib0700 force_lna_activation=1

then reboot.  I use this option:

options dvb_usb_dib0700 adapter_nr=0,1

in order to lock down the TD-500 tuners as numbers 0 and 1 to MythTV,
otherwise they can swap around in order with other tuners on the box,
which leads to problems with the setting in the backend setup screens
being applied to the wrong tuner.  You may need to set a 500 ms delay
time for tuning on the TD-500 tuners in the backend settings - that is
what I use and it works.

I do not use the force_lna_activation=1 myself, as I have an aerial
amplifier before the splitter that feeds the aerials in that room, so
I have good signal without needing that option.  But there seem to be
lots of people who do need it.

You can tell what options are available for the driver using this
command:

modinfo dvb_usb_dib0700