[mythtvnz] LIRC weirdness...

rob at webworxshop.com rob at webworxshop.com
Wed Oct 26 23:14:28 BST 2011

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011 15:04:26 +1300, rob at webworxshop.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm having some issues getting LIRC working with my Hauppauge WinTV
> Nova-S Plus remote under Arch Linux (I have previously had it working
> under Mythbuntu).
>
> The weird thing is that the remote does work. When LIRC is not
> running
> the kernel is picking up the remote as a keyboard, so some of the
> buttons work (basically the left and right keys appear to work in
> myth).
> When I search for the remote in /proc/bus/input/devices I wind that
> it
> is using /dev/input/event7 as its input device. I then try starting
> LIRC
> with:
>
> $ sudo lircd -n -H dev/input -d /dev/input/event7
>
> Which gives the output:
>
> lircd: lircd(devinput) ready, using /var/run/lirc/lircd
> lircd: accepted new client on /var/run/lirc/lircd
> lircd: initializing '/dev/input/event7'
>
> Then I start irw in another terminal and start pressing buttons, but
> never see anything (although irw does connect to LIRC, according to
> it
> lircd's output).
>
> It seems like there must be another driver or something interferring.
> can also see output via evtest when LIRC is not running. I can also
> use
> the remote with irrecord using the devinput driver.
>
> Has anyone else had a similar issue? I've included lsmod output and
> my
> lircd.conf below.

I've managed to make some progress on this. I copied a lircd.conf file
from /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput/lircd.conf.devinput which gives me
all the buttons working. However, every button appears to register
twice. There are a couple of fixes I've seen around the interwebs for
this [0, 1], but neither seem to work. In the second case the remote
just stops working completely, further investigation shows that the
/sys/class/rc/rc0/protocols setting must be on rc-5 to get anything from
the remote (I assume this is because the Hauppauge remotes use this
protocol).

I'm not sure whether this is some problem in LIRC or the presses being
registered by both the underlying kernel drivers and LIRC because when I
disable LIRC some buttons do not work, whilst these same buttons still
register twice with LIRC enabled. Also I only see one entry in irw for
each button press.

Rob

[0]
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lirc#Buttons_processed_several_times_when_pressed