[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon Oct 17 07:46:54 BST 2011

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 19:00:30 +1300, you wrote:

[snip]

>The tool you linked to is only for the following drives:
>WD1000FYPS-01ZKB0, WD7500AYPS-01ZKB0, WD7501AYPS-01ZKB0
>and advises that it should not be used with any other drive. My drives
>are WD20EARX-00PASB0. Does anyone know if these have the same problem?
>
>If I install smartmontools and monitor the SMART 193 value, what kind
>of values am I looking for? i.e. what is 'normal' and what is
>'abnormal'.

The drive I had a problem with is a WD2001FASS-00W2B0.  I am pretty
sure that the WD support person I talked to said to use that tool to
fix the problem, and it did work.  The Disable option did not though -
I had to just set the timeout to the maximum possible value.

On that drive, the raw value for 193 now reads 2999834!  If you see
the raw 193 value increasing all the time (that means from minute to
minute), you have the problem.  Normally, for a new drive, the raw 193
value should be close to 0.  It will occasionally increment, depending
on the circumstances.  The other three WD drives on that box have raw
193 values of 90, 9 and 1633, the latter being the oldest drive.  On
my Linux MythTV box, the WD drives report 16 and 48.