[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

David Moore dmoo1790 at ihug.co.nz
Sun Oct 9 04:29:15 BST 2011

On 09/10/11 16:13, AlanP wrote:
> At 01:57 p.m. 9/10/2011, you wrote:
>> Please note the WD "green" drives when in Raid or LVM extents mode wear
>> out the heads very quickly unless you flash a firmware hack.
>
> Just did a brief google, and WD's website is very cagey about the actual
> speed of the Green series. They claim that it will perform "comparably" to
> a 7200rpm drive...
>
> Maybe I'm a cynic, but it seems a bit like weasel words to me.

Yes, they won't say outright how fast they are but IMHO it's irrelevant.
They're fast enough for myth usage but also quiet and low power. They
use a clever system to speed up the drive only as necessary. I _think_
maybe I read something once that said they run anywhere between 5400 and
7200 rpm depending on demand. I can't say I've ever seen any disk
problems even with multiple simultaneous recordings and play back at the
same time.