[mythtvnz] Hardware Recommendations

tortise tortise at paradise.net.nz
Sun Oct 9 04:23:46 BST 2011

On 9/10/2011 3:33 p.m., rob at webworxshop.com wrote:
> On Sun, 09 Oct 2011 15:13:24 +1200, AlanP wrote:
>> At 01:57 p.m. 9/10/2011, you wrote:
>>> Please note the WD "green" drives when in Raid or LVM extents mode
>>> wear
>>> out the heads very quickly unless you flash a firmware hack.
>>
>> Just did a brief google, and WD's website is very cagey about the
>> actual
>> speed of the Green series. They claim that it will perform
>> "comparably" to
>> a 7200rpm drive...
>>
>> Maybe I'm a cynic, but it seems a bit like weasel words to me.
>>

> My understanding was that they were more like 5400 drives, but I can't
> remember where I heard that.

I expect, without having done any research, that they run at 5900 or
possibly even with a variable speed.

My advise is to get a fast SSD for the Main OS, NVIDIA card is critical
and CPU with the first two is not at all critical. A slow dual core cpu
equiv to a 2G C2D is plenty. A 3G duo would be worthwhile if you want to
other non HD GPU video such as VLC. 2G or maybe 4G of RAM can be good,
depending on what you wish to do and use a separate drives(s) for storage.

For example a 128G SSD and a 2 or 3TB 5900rpm HDD for video storage
would well satisfy many people.